Monday 16 January 2012

Let The Music Do The Talking...

...as Aerosmith once sang.  Of course they also sang "Dude Looks Like a Lady" and "Love in an Elevator", so they may not be the best people to invoke in a discussion about music but what the hell?  Sometimes even an ageing rocker like Steven Tyler makes a valid point...

So if your music could actually talk, what would it say about you?  This is quite a pertinent question for me at the moment as I refilled my mp3 player yesterday, and as well as some of the old favourites I ended up adding new discoveries and bands people have probably never heard of.  So I guess if my music could talk, it would say that I'm both incredibly eclectic and slightly weird.  Not really a surprise, is it?  One of the things that was surprising, however, was the number of bands/singers I rediscovered a passion for, especially the amazing Amy Studt.  I'd completely forgotten how brilliant her debut album False Smiles was - she was only 14/15 when she wrote and recorded the vast majority of the songs - and it's utterly brilliant.  This was my anthem for years:


And apparently she's still recording as an independent artist.  Whoo-hoo!  It's weird - despite all the rock/metal stuff on my hard drive there's still a lot of 'poppy' stuff going on; I guess it's a bigger part of my musical DNA than I ever realised.  Or wanted to admit. 

Although while we're on the subject of bands you might not have heard of...



This is Shere Khan.  They are, quite simply, immense.  And considering that today is 'Blue Monday', which is apparently the day everyone feels the most depressed, listening to them is making me one very happy little bunny.  And speaking of happy bunnies...


The Magnetic Fields.  Let's Pretend We're Bunny Rabbits.  'Nuff said...

No comments: