Tuesday 24 January 2012

Get Your Frocks Off, Baby!!

It's January, which means several things.  First, I will get a cold.  Check.  Second, the weather will be mardy and arsy. Check.  And thirdly, movie awards season swings into full-on fashionista hysteria.  Oh, and gives out some awards, or something.  But seriously, who focuses on the awards when there's fashion going on?!!

This year's Oscar nominations were announced today and, as always, I have high hopes for not only the awards themselves but for the red carpet catwalk beforehand.  I think The Artist will do incredibly well in all its nominated spots and, although I suspect Meryl Streep might be sashaying off with the little bald man for Best Actress, I personally am willing Michelle Williams to nab it for her role as Marilyn Monroe in "My Week With Marilyn".  Not only was the film sensational but she herself was phenomenal - I think she's a hugely underrated actress at the best of times but I am crossing everything I have that come the big day she will triumph.  I'll do whatever kind of voodoo I need to ensure this happens...

Come Oscar time, however, I hope Michelle has a suitably Marilyn-esque dress.  Her choice for the Golden Globes was simple, chic and understated, but she needs to pull out the big guns if she's going to compete on the carpet at the Academy Awards.  What I love about Michelle Williams is she dressed in whatever she seems comfortable in, yet she always looks so gorgeous when you see her...

 *sigh*  Just fabulous...


So since the Golden Globes have already happened, lets take a quick fly-by-night glance of some of my favourite front-line frocks.  These ladies dressed to impress at the Golden Globes; with Bafta and Oscar on the horizon, it's going to be time to pull out the really big guns...

Shailene Woodley looked absolutely stunning in her Marchesa frock.  I might steal this...



Kate Winslet could, of course, wear a bin bag and still look like a total glamour-puss. With curves, thank you very much...I swear this woman can do no wrong in my eyes; even if you were to tell me she murdered a thousand kittens a week to make her knickers I could probably find some way to excuse her.  She stole my heart in Titanic (sorry, Leo, although you were cute too), and it's been girl-crush central ever since...

Emma Stone's Lanvin dress is another one I'm thinking of 'borrowing'...

Tilda Swinton was as quirky and gorgeous as always...

...while the always-adorable Zooey Deschanel went from girl next door to green goddess in a flash.

The one outfit I am looking forward to come Oscar night is Bérénice Bejo's.  Not only is she impossibly French (and therefore impossibly chic) but her dress at the Golden Globes was stunning...

Can't wait to see how she tops that on February 26th!!

But of course no awards ceremony frock post is complete without a mention of "The Dress That Everyone Remembers Even If They Never Actually Saw It At The Time"...

Bjork, I salute you.  I don't care what anyone says, I thought you looked incredible in the swan dress.  You and I should meet up - you wear the swan, I'll wear Ducky Dress™ and we'll all have a fabulous time...

No comments: