Sunday 1 August 2010

Sleeeeeeeeppppp...

I've just come home from my day out at the Sonisphere music festival in Knebworth, so I am tired, achy and pretty deaf in both ears thanks to placing myself far too near the speakers. But happy? Ohhhh, yes...It was an absolutely awesome day out, despite my paranoia about health 'issues' (and kudos to the man in Boots at Liverpool Street who didn't look at me as if I was a total maniac), and I had the most epic time. The bands were, for the most part, fantastic (more anon), but what made it so amazing was the fact that I got to spend the time with my friends Ray and Hannah, who are among the most brilliant people in the world. Not only did we hang out at the festival all day, they also very kindly let me crash at their place last night so that I didn't have to worry about missing the last train back, and it was so much fun. hence why I'm so knackered now: Hannah and I ended up having a proper girlie sleepover (why are they called sleepovers? No one sleeps!) and talked all night. I'm lucky - I came home early this afternoon and can go to sleep on the sofa if I want to. Hannah's still at Sonisphere because she and Ray had tickets to all three days; she is a trooper and a treasure! So: Ray and Hannah, thank you again for making the weekend such brilliant fun, for letting me stay over and for being such fabulous people. Love you lots! xx RA RA!

Onto the bands...well, the ones that I saw, anyway...Sabaton were amazing, as always, and I can't wait to see them on tour later this year. Lacuna Coil seemed to have a few technical difficulties which was a shame; I'm not a huge fan but the odd song of theirs is good, and it would have been better for them if there hadn't been any issues. Ah well. Next up was Soulfly - seeing Max Cavalera 'foook shiiiit oooop!' before playing 'Roots Bloody Roots' was awesome! :D Apocalyptica made me squeal like a teenage fangirl at a pop concert (eat yer heart out, JLS) and bust my eardrums because we were so close to the amps at the front. It's a tough job, but sometimes a girl just has to do it...We headed back to the main stage to briefly catch up with a friend but as Good Charlotte were playing my ears were bleeding (and not in a good way) so we headed back to the second stage for the awesome Skunk Anansie. As a young teenager, I hero-worshipped Skin (while being slightly afraid of her) because she was - and is - such a strong, powerful woman. In the flesh, she does not disappoint...awesome lady, phenomenal singer, blinding show. Well, what we saw of it...

You see, Corey Taylor, the talented (and not unattractive) singer of Slipknot and Stone Sour was performing an acoustic set in the tent, so to make sure we got there in time we left Skunk Anansie three songs in and made for the tented stage. Just as well we did, really, because when he came on stage, the place was absolutely rammed. Before he came on we caught the set by a band called Sick Of It All, who were not my cup of tea at all, but then when they left we managed to stand to one side and listen to Corey sing. It was magic. I shed tears. He had played 'Give My Love To Rose' by Johnny Cash, which is one of my favourite Cash songs ever; then, when he played 'Bother' and dedicated a version of the Slipknot song 'Snuff' to the late Paul Gray, one of the members of Slipknot, the tears started. It was moving, it was beautiful and it was a fine tribute from one man to his friend, and from the fans to a musician they respected, as almost everyone was singing along. In short, it was one of my highlights of the day, so thank you Corey...

Next up was the mighty Motley Crue. I love Motley Crue. I don't care how many people tell me they're rubbish, I've been devoted to them since I was a teenager and, having seen them in a tent at Download festival a few years ago, there was no way I was missing this. I was, however, on my own, as I am the only Crue freak on my gang. So while Ray and Hannah managed to get awesome positions at the main stage for the headliners, I perched myself at the side of the stage and sang and danced like a total maniac to my beloved Crue. It was a fantastic show (although there were a few technical hitches along the way), but they pulled out some of the real old-school stuff and made me incredibly happy by doing so. Just do 'Primal Scream' at the next one, guys, and I'll be on cloud 9!

Which brings me to the big finale. After Crue finished, I dashed to the main stage and found myself a nice little spot on the grass at the back of the arena so that I could sing and dance my little heart out all over again to the utterly brilliant, utterly mental Rammstein. There are no words to describe how epic this show was. The lights, the pyro, the fireworks, the boat over the crowd...Till Lindemann and the rest of the band were just fantastic. Stone cold sober, I danced like a lunatic burlesque-performer-come-pole-dancer throughout the whole set and loved every second of it. The only worrying thing is that there was a camera crew wandering around and started shooting me during 'Du Hast'. I live in mortal dread of the footage ever surfacing...But it was utterly, utterly fantabulous and I loved every second of it. By the time I met up with ray and Hannah again and headed back to their place, I was shattered. And yet still Hannah and I managed to stay up (after we'd all decided at 3am to stop talking and go to bed) and talk the whole night through. Oops.

In short, this was one of the best weekends of my life. I can't even sulk too much about missing my beloved Turisas on Friday (along with Alice Cooper) or not seeing Iron Maiden and Iggy and the Stooges today; I was with great company, saw some phenomenal performances and haven't laughed so hard in ages. I'm definitely already up for next year, as long as I can go with my friends again (and maybe stay over again, if they'll have me back...)

next gig, however, is next Thursday, when I'm seeing another one of my heroines: the phenomenal Sarah Jezebel Deva. That woman is an inspiration and a legend and I can't wait!

2 comments:

Queen Of The Sapphire Waterfall said...

Hannah here. :) Of course we'll have you back. :) You're welcome to stay over whenever you want (if you want to come back of course!)

It was lovely having you stay over, I haven't talked so much in ages. :D (Bad Hannah!) I'm still tired now. Ray wouldn't let me buy any sparklies though. :p

I still think Rammstein were awesome, they were my highlight of Soni, shame you didn't get to kidnap Till. :)

The Mothership said...

yes, it was most definitely a shame she didn't kidnap Till, i asked nicely and everything! and all kate said was ~ 'sorry mothership, this skirt had no pockets in.' last time i ask her to bring me back something nice from a concert ...!