Tuesday 31 August 2010

Bleats and Ramblings

Some days, no matter how hard you try, the words just don't wanna come. Today is one of those days. Personally, I blame the shitload of research on prostitution that I've had to do today (and will end up doing tomorrow and the next day and the next day...) - I could just do another feminist political uber-rant about how completely stupid some of the legislation around the subject is, but frankly I'd probably end up wanting to scratch out my own eyes as a result. My one consolation is that the police won't like about 98% of the recommendations that seem to be coming out of the "how to not end up like Ipswich" thing, so being the one who gets to deliver the news is a constant source of gleeful amusement when I want to throw myself out of the window after reading some of these reports (anarchy rulz!) But that kinda leaves me with the problem of "what to write about today?"

So after some half-arsed false starts, I decided to see what the hell happened on today's date in history, after I was reminded that Princess Diana was killed 13 years ago today. One quick Google later and I found some interesting titbits...

1745 - Bonnie Prince Charlie reaches Blair Castle
1897 - Thomas Edison patents his movie camera
1924 - Paavo Nurmi, the 'Flying Finn', runs the 10,000m in world record time
1978 - The Harris' plead guilty to the kidnap of heiress Patty Hearst
1985 - Capture of Richard Ramirez, the 'Night Stalker'

So, just a few of my favourite things, then - Scots, movies, Finns, psychology and serial killers! All summed up in one day...hey, what about my other great love, music? Let's see....

1957 - Elvis played Vancouver, the last time he would play outside the States before his death.
1963 - 'Be My Baby' by the Ronettes entered the charts, their first and only Top Ten hit.
1968 - First Isle of Wight festival!! What a line-up - The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, T-Rex, Jefferson Airplane...wheee!
1969 - The mighty Led Zeppelin played the Texas International Pop Festival with BB King and Janis Joplin. Zeppelin, Janis and BB King, POP?!?! Are you sure, Texas...?
1980 - Karen Carpenter got married.
1984 - Purple Rain, the movie starring Prince (or whatever the hell he calls himself these days) opened across the UK.
1986 - Bob Geldof married Paula Yates.
1987 - All known pre-order records were broken as 2.25 million copies of Michael jackson's 'Bad' were shipped to US record stores.
1991 - Guns 'n' Roses, Skid Row and NIN performed at Wembley, and Metallica started their four-week number one on the US album chart with 'Metallica'.
And Van Morrison, Rudy Schenker of the Scorpions, Glen Tillbrook of Squeeze and Del Marquis of the Scissor Sisters (among others) all celebrate birthdays today. As does my Gran. Marvy.

Right, that's enough rambling from me. Bed, I think...

No comments: