Sunday 15 August 2010

I'm Forever Blowin' Bubbles...

Aaaand we've caught up! Hurrah...

That's probably the only thing worth cheering about, however. The new Premier League season started this weekend, so naturally I was in a breathless state of anticipation...oh, who am I kidding? I couldn't give a monkey's uncle, really, although I always check up on the scores at least, in order to celebrate the triumph of my team. Sadly for me, I'm a West Ham supporter...I'm not holding my breath for any particular glory this season; it'd be nice if we managed to stay somewhere near the middle of the table.

So, played one, lost one. Quite badly. To Aston Villa. And to top it all off, our next match is against Bolton, who have the curious knack of always being able to unsettle us and whup us when necessary. I want to be able to state, with complete and utter confidence, that we will stay up again this season; that the relegation zone is not something we need to worry about; that we will finish, at worst, mid-table...but then the cold, cruel clarity of "real life" drops in and I get the distinctly dubious feeling, a prickle at the back of my neck, that this time next year we may well be in the Championship...

Ah well, what do I care? West Ham won the World Cup in '66, and we had Bobby Moore. All the rest is just dreaming...all together now..."I'm forever blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air..."

5 comments:

Lanky? said...

Bobby Moore? World renowned jewellery thief who refused to speak to the West Ham management for most of the 60's for not selling him to Spurs? Hardly something to be proud of for the Spammers ;)

The Mothership said...

and we had Sir Trevor Brooking, and they play in pretty claret and blue, and they blow bubbles, for pete's sake, at football matches! what's not for a girl to love!!

Kate said...

Raymond - hush.

Mothership - indeedy. And we has the bestest mascot ever. And the best hooligans...oh wait, we're not supposed to be proud of that, are we...? xx

Ray said...

hooligans? Luton do try to run you close. Did you see they got away with attacking the York team?

Kate said...

I was going to be a total bitch and make a comment about Luton fans but I shall restrain myself...