Sunday 22 August 2010

If Music Be The Food Of Love...Part 2

I actually think I would die if I didn't have music in my life. I could sort of cope with losing my sight, even as a writer and an avid reader, and although taste and smell would be a bit of a loss as well, it wouldn't be the end of the world if one of them had to go. I don't think I have to worry about losing my sense of touch - after all, even if I was just a head I could still roll around and bump into things - but the one sense that would probably kill me to lose would be my hearing. The thought of living without music, without hearing the songs and bands that I love or getting to hear and discover new ones makes shivers run down my spine. To never hear Apocalyptica make Metallica songs bearable; to never have realised how sexy Corey Taylor's voice is when he's not in Slipknot; to never have been moved by the power of Sarah Jezebel Deva; to never have heard Vibeke Stene, Janis Joplin, Mama Cass, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Buckley...it's so depressing it's untrue!

Which is why I've spent a lazy afternoon transferring poems currently scribbled on scrappy pieces of paper into my notebook with my mp3 player firmly clamped to my ears. It's been utter bliss; I've rediscovered songs that I a) had no idea were on here and b) had completely forgotten about, and not only is it utterly inspiring to have my favourite singers warbling away in my ears, it's also incredibly soothing. I always know that, whenever I'm struggling to express myself, somewhere out there is a song that does it for me. Methinks ABBA were onto something when they sang "thank you for the music," although if I was to personally thank all the bands, singers and songwriters over the years who have given voice to my emotions and thoughts and provided the soundtrack to my life, I'd be here 'til long after the Apocalypse has been and gone. As previously mentioned, I've been through several musical incarnations over the years, and some of the old favourites have stuck around as a new phase has started, so there are a helluva lot of people on that list...I may never be able to list you all individually (she says, as if they actually read this blog!) but you're in my heart forever. Such is the power of music...

With that in mind, I have become slightly addicted to one of the games on the Nightwish forum. Basically, you whack your mp3 player on 'shuffle' and then the title of each song forms the answer to the questions. Sometimes it's completely incomprehensible (I still get hysterics when I think about the time that the answer to the question "what do your exes think of you?" was 'Swallow' by Emilie Autumn); sometimes they tend to almost make sense, but its a reasonably entertaining way to pass the time when you're 'plugged in' so I've been doing it while writing this blog entry and Facebooking...lets see what we came up with...

How are you feeling today?
Manic Aeon – Sirenia (true…I have been a bit manic today)

What do your friends think of you?
Whore of Heaven – Inkubus Sukkubus (gee, thanks guys…bastards!)

What does your family think of you?
Mad Girl – Emilie Autumn (now that’s definitely true!)

What do strangers think of you?
Like Dylan in the Movies – Belle and Sebastian (cool!)

What do your exes think of you?
Control the Storm – Delain (don’t break my heart then!)

What do you like in a girl/guy?
Siberian Love Affairs – Diablo Swing Orchestra (so I need to be on the lookout for a Siberian fella, eh?)

What is your motto?
Breathe Easy – Sugababes (sounds like reasonable advice!)

Are you good at school/job?
Traffic – Stereophonics (either I’m heading for a career change or this makes no sense!)

Will you have kids?
Dead Boy’s Poem – Nightwish (that would be a no, then…or I’m going to murder my hypothetical son!)

Will you get married?
Yield to Temptation – After Forever (interesting…)

What song will you dance to at your wedding?
The Ballad of Tom Jones – Spaced feat. Cerys Matthews (hahaha, I would actually seriously get married just to do that! Especially given what the song is about…)

What do you think about very often?
The Way You Said Goodnight – The Magnetic Fields (the way who said goodnight though?)

What is a song for today?
Original Sin (The Devil’s Waiting in the Wings) – Angtoria (spookily appropriate for a Sunday…and the fact that it’s, well, me…)

What is a song for tomorrow?
Spectators of Suicide – Manic Street Preachers (I sincerely hope not!)

What is a song for every day?
Dance of Fate – Epica (yay!)

What will next year bring?
Somewhere – Within Temptation (well, that’s as clear as mud…)

What will you do on the weekend?
Castle Down – Emilie Autumn (ooh, sounds interesting…)

What song should they play at your funeral?
About A Girl – Nirvana (yes please!)

What song should they play on your birthday?
Water Fire Heaven Earth – Van Canto (only if you get Van Canto to do it…*dies*)

Will you have a sucessful future?
What If? – Emilie Autumn (ambigous…nice…)

What is your biggest fear?
Half Jack – Dresden Dolls (in a bizarre twist, I can relate…)

What is your biggest secret?
Wicked Game – Stone Sour (well, it’s not a secret now, is it? Tsk…)

How will you die?
Doors Closing Slowly – Manic Street Preachers (I shall avoid doors at all costs then…)

1 comment:

Ray said...

Makes me laugh on forums when you see just a whole list of the same band in these things, at least have SOME variation FFS!

Still Whore of Heaven, think this one's worked reasonably well for you!