Monday 19 July 2010

The Show Must Go On...

Okay, so yesterday there was an epic fail on the blogging front again, but I have an exceptionally wonderful excuse up my sleeve. I was on the stage.

No, seriously. Stop sniggering. It's true - yours truly spent the day locked in the Palace Theatre in Southend having a mini-diva hissy fit before performing in 7 sketches as part of my Writers Group performance. So not only have I been dragged kicking and screaming into the light of day where my writing is concerned (i.e. showing it to someone who a) isn't my mother and b) I actually see as opposed to random people in cyberspace, now apparently I act as well. And considering I haven't acted since I was about 14, I actually really enjoyed it...

It's kind of amazing to think that in 3 months, not only have I joined a writing group and physically had to share my work with other people, I've also had my work performed in a proper theatre. It's totally bizarre, really. I was so scared before I went on stage to read my poem, even during the dress rehearsal in the afternoon, which was just in front of the other writers and actors, but once I'd got that one out of the way I relaxed and just did it. And it was brilliant. Apparently, even my mother was surprised - and that was a shock to me considering she knows what a drama queen I am on a daily basis!! But I now appear to have been convinced to audition for something else as well, so who knows? Maybe I'll give it a go and surprise myself!

But despite being a total ball of nervous energy yesterday, I got through it because of the brilliant friends I've made at the group, who are not only fabulous writers and performers but incredibly wonderful people as well. So...to Daisymay, Hannah and Dan, who stepped in and helped us out with performing and who are amazingly good; to Michael for helping us out, for acting and for almost deafening me in sketch 3; to Jack, for bullying me into acting in the first place and for managing to direct us all; and to my Three Musketeers Melissa, Danielle and Liam, who are fabulous beyond belief and put up with my complete manic-hysteria yesterday more than they should have done - thank you. I would never have got through it without you and hanging out with you over the past 3 months has been amazing. You guys are fabulous and I'm really, really pleased that I've met you! (Mel - we'll take over the world with our burlesque/pole-dancing double act!)

So here's to the next 3 months and the next performance...and I promise I'll try and be calmer next time!! xx

No comments: