Thursday 23 February 2012

Beat the Bullies...

I hate the fact we live in a world where someone can be judged on something trivial - the colour of their skin, their sexuality, how they dress - and bullied because of it.  I hate the fact that, as I type this, there are entire legions of young (and not-so-young) people who are suffering at the hands of bullies.  I hate the fact that between 15 and 25 teenagers a year kill themselves because they are being bullied, and I hate the fact that, thanks to the wonders of the World Wide Web and mobile phones, this bullying can continue even in the sanctity of their own bedrooms. 

Now I was lucky.  Although I had my 'differences' with one of the girls I was at secondary school with it never really degenerated into out-and-out bullying, although there were days when she made my life utterly miserable, and we certainly never had the technology for her to be able to continue tormenting me outside the school gates.  These days thanks to Facebook, Twitter and the rest, some kids are being bullied even when they're in the so-called safety of their own homes.  I just cannot get my head around the fact that some people clearly have such pointless and pathetic lives they feel they have some god-given right to inflict such suffering on others.

It is never ok to pick on someone, to mentally and emotionally torture them, to beat them up or drive them to complete and utter misery because they happen to look/act/think differently to you.  It doesn't make you cool.  Calling someone fat or queer, beating someone up because they dress 'Goth', driving another human being into taking their own life because they can't put up with the relentless torture - because that, my friends, is what it is - is NEVER ACCEPTABLE.

If you're being bullied, the first thing I want to tell you is it isn't your fault.  The second thing I want to tell you is you aren't alone.  The third and most important thing I want to tell you is that there are people out there who can help you.  I know it's hard, but you need to talk to someone about it and, if you don't feel confident enough to tell a friend, parent, teacher or colleague then there are other agencies out there who will be able to help you.  You can contact Kidscape who also have a phone line for parents of children who are being bullied.  You can call Childline on 0800 1111.  You can call the Samaritans on 08457 909090 - they also have a website detailing the other ways you can contact them.  

What you are going through is NOT ok.  Don't let the bullies win.  Talk to someone.  Please.  It does get better and you don't have to end up a statistic.  You can beat the bullies and go on to live a full and happy life; you just need to realise that you aren't fighting on your own...

No comments: